Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Neglecting the Blog

It's been an eventful past month and a half, yet I have neglected to blog about any of it. Here are things I truly enjoy about being a teacher so far:

-4 out of my 5 classes are fantastic. The kids are respectful, on task (for the most part), and they participate in my lecture/discussions.

-Passing time. As soon as the bell rings, I see my class out of the room, hustle down to the social studies office to get another cup of coffee, then lean on the wall in the hallway and watch the world go by. I'll say hey to the kids I know and usually end up cracking jokes with a few. It's funny how some kids know me, yet pretend they don't see me. Must be a high school thing.

-How "spent" I am at the end of the day. Yeah, I'm tired. And yeah, I could definitely use a nap before hustling off to 490/650, but I'm starting to enjoy the feeling of accomplishment that comes along with putting in a well-planned, full day in the classroom.

What I don't enjoy:

-That 5th out of 5 classes. Once I realize that hour is approaching, I kind of get sick to my stomach. I've got a handful of kids in that class that, for some reason, don't like me and it drives me crazy. Those kids make it their business to test my limits and see if they can make me upset. I know teachers aren't supposed to hit kids, but what about duct taping them to their seats with their mouths shut? Is that a grey area?

Until next time...

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

If you get the OK with the duct tape thing, will you get it on video? I just think it could be a good learning tool... =o)

Liz Kolb, Ph.D. said...

Hi Sean
Thank you for sharing this post.
Do you use the same teaching strategies with the 5th hour? If so, you may want to try some more simple methods. I always had one class every year that I taught which was a little less mature or had more behavior issues. I found that group activities did not work well for them, they seemed to need more structure. Therefore I created more individual activities, lots of "quick quizzes"--I had one almost daily when they came in to class or when they finished class. I also lectured a lot more, did note checks, AND had a long discussion with them about "behavior issues" and asked them for solutions (sometimes worked well, sometimes not so well).

Sean--every teacher has a class that they struggle with. Ask some of the other teachers in your department. Have them observe (I know this sounds crazy, but they will have some great advice).

Chloe Root said...

Hey Sean,

It's nice to hear that you're enjoying teaching so much (except for that pesky 5th hour - what kind of troubles do you have with them specifically?)! I'm similarly enjoying the constant buzz (hee hee) of kids talking in the halls and asking questions during class. I thought I would like teaching teenagers, but I didn't expect to have so much fun with them! Sometimes I think my students are funnier than my friends :P.

Let me know what's going on with fifth block - even if I can't be any help I'd like to hear what works for you and what doesn't - perhaps a topic for 650 when our groups are combined?

Chloe Root said...

P.S. Would you be up for joining us at Dominic's for some of those diversity conversations I emailed about? So far only ladies have expressed interest, and in the interest of diversity.... :) But seriously, I'd love it if you'd come-you and Rena and I had such plans for this year and we haven't realized any of them yet! Also, I'm planning on scheduling them in May, so no pressure to commit time you don't have!

Stephanie V said...

Hey Sean,

I can empathize with so much of what you are saying in this post. It will be nice once we can devote all of our attention to school and not have to worry about heading to class Mondays and Thursdays. I also can empathize with the whole 'one class' thing. For me, it's just a few students in a couple classes that can incite a lot of stuff. I've noticed that if I go over to them and talk to them before and after class they are a little better. But sometimes I'm so annoyed I can't bring myself to that level. But, I just have to remind myself that I should be treating each child like they were my little bro (Robin's great advice) even though it's so hard some times. Good luck!