Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Random thoughts about my last two days...

-I was off my game on Monday it's as simple as that. We were reviewing for the test we had today, and every time it was my turn to explain a particular term or concept, it seemed as if I took FOREVER to get to the point. I found myself being very redundant and dull to the point where, as I was talking in front of the class, a little voice came on in the back of my mind and was like, "what are you even saying right now?" Man, was I off. And the worst part about it is that I didn't even get much of a shot at redemption today because we were testing all day. So it appears that "How Mr. Galvin got his groove back" will have to wait until next week.

-There was this kid in one of my classes today that was obviously cheating and I didn't know what to do about it. I was helping with some of the slower readers by reading the test to them, and as I was reading one of the questions I could totally see him whispering with the girl next to him. My teacher "move" was to just walk over there and stand by him as I was talking, but it was pretty weak attempt. As soon as I walked away he was cheating again. I should have at least moved him to another seat in the room, but instead I looked to my mentor--who was busy typing something on the computer--like a frightened child. In the end, the kid got away with cheating because I didn't have the cojones to do anything about it. Now I worry that I'm getting a reputation as a pushover student teacher. The same type of pushover student teacher that I took advantage of all the time back in the day, how's that for some bad karma?

-Technologically speaking, I haven't had a chance to do much more than operate a few power point slides on a projector just yet. Although I guess I did have the pleasure of running scantron tests through the machine today--something I've always dreamed of doing and never thought I'd see the day that it happened. The thing looks like a 1970s sewing machine to me, and there's even this old-school looking tarp that goes over it when not in use--presumably because if any dust particles get caught inside the gears the thing would explode. Despite its primitive features, the scantron is a fine piece of machinery. It took a total of 8 minutes to grade like 200 tests, so props to that.

-It's pretty cool to experience passing time between classes as a teacher now. The kids are all running around pushing each other and just being teenagers, then I'll walk past another faculty member and we'll acknowledge each other even if we haven't met before. I guess that's what teachers do, give that little nod or smile to the other teacher as if to say, "yup, we're on the same team here." Of course, the kids are the exact opposite. I passed a group of kids today just as one of them cursed, and right away they all looked at me to see if I heard it....which I did. But again, being the pushover student teacher that doesn't want any trouble, I pretended like I didn't.

-Because it is simply not in my "reach" to pack a lunch for school, I have been eating the cafeteria food at John Glenn every time I'm there and I have no regrets. The food is surprisingly tolerable, the price is only $3, and I get to drink CHOCOLATE MILK every day. When's the last time you had a chocolate milk?!?

-I've had a few kids say "Hi Mr. Galvin" in the halls to me so far, and each time has made me feel sweet. I think I like getting that kind of respect and I wonder if I could get them to start calling me "sir" now and again, just to change it up a little bit.


-Seriously, chocolate milk is so sweet. And I love the little carton. It takes me back, man.

5 comments:

Ms. History Teacher said...

Hi Sean!

Glad to hear that you're adjusting to life as a student teacher. You're in for a crazy, stressful, busy, amazingly wonderful year :)

It was interesting for me to read this blog post as I'm about to start my 4th week as a first year teacher... I too am struggling with staying on my game, and trying to be assertive AND nice without being a pushover. I see teachers at school who have discovered the secret recipe to concoct this magical combination, but I am still testing mine out. I wonder how long it will take us to figure it out??

What courses are you teaching this year? How is your planning coming and how is MAC treating you?

-Caroline :)

Sarah said...

Sean, you inspired me to blog! (I finally updated my blog:))

Stephanie V said...

I know what you mean about being off your game. There's nothing like having 35+ 14 year olds stare at you like you are a total idiot because you tried to go about explaining an assignment in pretty much the worst way possible. Ugh. But, I'm sure you'll get back on the horse.

My proposal for tech class is to teach us how to incorporate robots into the classroom for those off-the-game moments.

Autumn said...

Hey Sean,
I know what you mean about being a push over... There are lots of times that I hear or see students do something that they shouldn't being doing, and I pretty much never say anything. Anyway, I have an excuse and possibly a reason for this for me at least. The excuse: I think being in the role of student-teacher is really, really hard, because at least I don't know exactly what my role should be as an authoritarian and I don't want to over step my boundaries yet. The reason: One thing that my teacher has taught me is to ignore some things and to know when to pick my battles. But it is really hard for me to ignore these things...
On a side note, yeah, the lunches aren't bad! And I do love chocolate milk! Mmmmm...

Jeff Stanzler said...

Sean, a propos the apparent cheating, I do want to say that it's good that you noticed it. Even as you find your voice of authority, it's good that you're tuned in. Had you the chance to face the situation again, I'm supposing that you might respond differently. The great thing is that you're certain to have another opportunity to deal with the situation. Maybe it's a good opportunity for a chat with the mentor about how he might suggest that you handle delicate situations such as this...