Friday, October 3, 2008

Random Thoughts in Early October

-Well, here we are, October 3rd. I'm sitting in the student lounge at the SOE waiting for Ed Tech, and I feel it's time to blog again.

-I've come to notice that there is not much going on in terms of technology in my classroom. Each day there is an assignment displayed on the projector, but that's about it. The rest is textbooks, discussions and lectures. I wanted to use a map of the world yesterday as I was lecturing, but all I could find in the room was US maps that never get used!

-Once I get to run my own show in January, I want to make a point to include visuals for my students as often as possible. Maps, powerpoints, outlines, all that kind of stuff. Nobody takes notes on lectures or anything, so I feel there is quite a bit my instruction that gets lost because students have a hard time paying attention to one person for too long. Visuals, man....visuals.

-There's a good chance the teachers at Wayne/Westland go on strike next week, so this may be a good opportunity to see some other schools and such...should be fun.

-To all who made it to Alli's debate party last night--Thank you. I needed that.

3 comments:

Dodie said...

Sean - I was going to send you an email but your link wasn't posted so I thought you might want to contact me. (mielkemj@wwcs.k12.mi.us) I work to help teachers use technology in the Wayne-Westland district and I'd love to hear your ideas and offer some suggestions about the technology that is available for use at John Glenn.

Jeff Stanzler said...

Two comments...
First off, isn't Mary Jane the best?
Secondly, in the spirit of your observation about your desire to use visuals, you have to check this out, Sean. Shannon C commented on an edublog that she's been reading, and that in turn led to another blogger, Dan Meyer, who had a wonderfully simple idea. Post a pair of images of license plates (one from Costa Rica and one from CA) and then ask teachers what they could do with them in their classroom. The responses are amazing...

Liz Kolb, Ph.D. said...

Sean
I agree with you about visuals, they are important for many learners. On idea that might be helpful (this is something that a teacher in Columbus used to do and I loved the idea), you can take pictures of the class activities each day...and then posting those pics in the room (or on a private space online).

And I concur with Jeff, take full advantage of any help Mary Jane can offer...