Sunday, July 20, 2008

Changing My Mind About Tech

So, I'll be honest. I've never really been a big fan of technological advances. To me, new advances such as the cell phone and GPS systems, though they seem fantastic at first, have very ugly sides as well. Now if I get a text message from someone and don't respond in a somewhat prompt fashion, this person has a right to be upset with me and I find myself feeling guilty. Now, with the GPS deals, there will be an ongoing reduction in the percentage of human beings who know how to read a map or have any sense of direction whatsoever.
There's a big part of me that, in all truthfulness and honesty, wants to scrap all this BS and start a commune based on small agriculture and togetherness. It would be like Jonestown, only without the group suicide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown).
I also plan on founding the Automobile Abolitionist Society in the next few years. I'll be a modern-day John Rankin, William Lloyd Garrison, etc. First, I'll need to secure a teaching job in a small country town. Then, I'll find a place to live nearby. After that, I'll decide whether it's best to ride my bike to work, or better yet, purchase a mule. Once that's taken care of, I'll "ghost ride" my Dodge Caliber off a cliff somewhere and collect the insurance money. That would be enough to get the AAS off the ground and make t-shirts and coffee mugs and stuff.
But when it comes to technology in the classroom, I can really see a benefit. Those wikis we learned about in 504 on Friday seem real user-friendly and beneficial. My skeptical mind has been working overtime trying to figure out the down side to such tools, and honestly, I've come up empty. Long live the wikis, long live EDUC 504, and LONG LIVE THE SECONDARY MAC!!!! (drop the mic and walk off the stage)

11 comments:

Rebekah said...

Funny thing - my friend in high school named his car Rankin.
And you are correct about communication wait times changing as technology has changed. There used to be very standard and well known times where it was acceptable to return phone calls or write a thank you note. Now, everyone is expected to reply to emails and cell phones all the time, every day.
I tend to lose my cell a lot. Sometimes not even on purpose!
(-:

Maria said...

Ohhh Sean, there is wisdom in your words! However, I have to tell you that I actually received a GPS system as a gift because my direction ability is so awful! I was taken pity on... BUT that does not mean I will stop trying to overcome my weakened sense of direction without technology.

I do agree with the fact that people are using way too much technology these days, and in the wrong ways! We most definitely need to promote more positive uses of technology such as solar panels and wind power...and/or buy a mule and ride it to class. Also, I recently wrote a friend a letter and went to buy a stamp, realizing it was almost 50 cents to do so! (that adds up to half a backroom pizza!) So the uses of technology are definitely changes our lives in an incredible amount of different ways. We should watch out for how it is changing us as people who are meant to interact on more personal levels! (such as living in small agricultural communities...what are you naming this village by the way?)

Basically, I liked your entry :) Have a good night!

Anonymous said...

Life in the AAS sounds fantastic...where do I sign up?

Liz Kolb, Ph.D. said...

Sean
Wow! What a change...I really appreciate you keeping an open mind with technology and teaching (that is all we are asking). You bring up an important point though that we do need to be careful and mindful about technology in the classroom. Historically, schools have been very sloppy about technology integration (often due to lack of knowledge, personnel, or funds) as a result the integration has much room for improvement. With all of that said, here is a short video on the 21st Century Student and why we may want to think about including more 21st Century Technology skills (such as wikis and text messaging) in our teaching.

A Vision of K12 Students Today

Jeff Stanzler said...

Sean, have you ever come across a book called "No Place But Here" by Garrett Keizer. It was written about his time teaching in a small town in Vermont and I found it challenging and delightful. I know that you have LOTS of free time, but....add it to the list ;-)

Ms. History Teacher said...

Hi Sean :)

Your comment about GPS systems vesus traditional map-reading is an interesting one. As a social studies and history teacher, I want to make sure my students have the ability to read maps and can understand the world in a more globally connected sense. I can understand your initial frustration with our society's growing dependency on technology, but I think you'll continue to be pleasantly surprised at the benefits technology can bring to your classroom. Kids these days already have a leg up because they've been "connected" most of their lives, and they're itching to see new things being done instead of the same old PowerPoint or bland internet research project. Enjoy Liz and Jeff's class! (It was seriously the most useful class I've ever taken. Ever.)

-Caroline

KOZMONAUT said...

Hahaha I laughed out loud at the Jonestown reference - Sometimes I really feel the same way about technology! Texting and phone calls have become the new Victorian calling card...a social obligation which must be returned under penalty of complete social ostracization. At the same time, I find myself to be a tech fiend! I really like this class so far because I feel like I'm learning stuff that is SOOO useful (I don't want to be that 25 year girl who doesn't know how to check email for goodness sakes!)

Brian said...

You're overlooking a golden opportunity to put it all together - technology, Anti-Automobile, and the commune can all combine under the banner of "Algae is the Answer; Switchgrass is the Solution". Once you're done with Jeff's book, check out the documentary "Fields of Fuel" - alternative energy shouldn't be that far away if we get to work. Push your students to make the difference.

Maria said...

Oh my goodness, I may just have to commit.

But that title would come with such responsibility! ...I don't know if I can handle MAC annnd a "Sloanstown"
... but I'm tempted.

Meghan said...

Sean, check out my first official blog. I am pretty anti-technology too. I'd be willing to live in your non-suicidal commune. Plus, I have always wanted to live in a small rural town so I can ride my horse to work. Can't you just picture my horse tied to a hitching post outside a modern day school?!? Maybe we can start a school in our utopia commune and we can both ride our horses/mules to work together.

Leanne said...

Awesome...I have specific rules about texting! I HATE having a conversation via text...so I won't do it. Text messages in my book don't warrant a response, they're a quick check in, "sorry, running late" or "just want to say hi." If you expect a response...take the time to leave a message please. Maybe I'm old fashioned

Will you post pictures on your mule please?