Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Final Week of Summer Term

Wow, that was fast. One minute, you're trying to find the student services building to get your MCard, the next you're sitting in the grad library like you own the place, typing away at your final blog of the summer term. My, how time flies.
It's weird to look in "my documents" here on this MacBook, because there are so many documents and completed assignments in there, and it really doesn't seem like I've been in school that long!
If it were socially acceptable to tattoo the pharse "have some goshdarn foresight you a-hole" backwards on my forehead so I was forced to read it in the mirror every morning, that might be a good idea for fall semester and beyond. While my whole "do what's on the to-do list for today and don't worry about anything else" strategy has gotten me to this point, I've had my share of stressful moments that could have been avoided had I planned ahead a little bit.
At the risk of being labeled a "brown-noser," I've got to say I've really enjoyed this technology course so far. It's becoming apparent to me that I've kind of had a grumpy-old-man attitude towards technological advances and thought of the Internet as a vast wasteland of worthless, time-killing information and "adult" websites. But I'm starting to get an idea of just how great of an asset technology can be to education, given a little know-how and an open mind.

6 comments:

stephanie said...

1. my how time DOES fly.
2. i really need to get better at planning ahead too. like really... i do!
3. the tech class *is* cool. i really found it heartening to hear from one of the past mac students today how applicable this class is to teaching high schoolers... and getting a job :)

Sarah said...

I agree with what you said... and i like how you stayed positive. Especially after yesterdays visit with MAC graduates... they didn't exactly sell the MAC program as a good time!

I look forward to making the trip to John Glenn with you in the Fall!

Stephanie said...

I think that I like picturing you as a grumpy old man. =o)

Shannon said...

Good news....
Mildred was alive and well this morning walking around in what she calls here "panties" hahaha. Apparently she was in the hospital for what she thinks was only one night but she doesn't remember... it was an interesting morning haha. Thanks again for helping me relax last night. Ok time for serious business... name these movie quotes:
1) HOW DO YOU LIVE?
2) I'm gettin that fosho
3) and there he was..the mighty ducks man himself

Frau Napiers Deutsch 1 said...

That whole foresight thing--- only works sometimes! I've had to super plan this summer semester because I've been working 3 or 4 days a week and taking classes, and there are just some days where you have to take it "one day at a time."

Lisa said...

I'm doing work right now and it seems strange... it's not like me to work ahead at all...my philosophy is to wait until the last possible minute and then everything gets done so much more efficiently because , well, it happens to be due in an hour. Anyway, the only reason I'm doing work right now is because my car is in the shop and I'm too cheap to take a bus home and too nice of a friend to call someone to pick me up. So here I find myself being PRODUCTIVE. And checking my email and gmail relentlessly. My advice: unless your car's in the shop, save it til the last possible minute.